5 Money Saving Tips for Renters
by Caleb Bartlett
If you have recently graduated college and now how students loans to pay off, or wanting to go on that dream vacation, saving money can provide a whole new world of possibility. Utilizing these 5 practical energy saving tips can dramatically help reduce your utility bills every month, freeing up money in the budget for all types of adventure.
- Lighting is the easiest and quickest way that an energy bill can be reduced drastically, and fast. Simply turning off lights in other rooms, or opening window curtains in the day time, utilizing lighting can quickly and easily help reduce an energy bill. Energy star claims “Replacing your five most frequently used light fixtures or the bulbs in them with ENERGY STAR qualified lights can save more than $65 a year in energy costs.” LED bulbs are a great and easy way to cut into that energy bill each month.
- Vampire appliances. Simply put, vampire appliances are ones that suck energy even when they are turned off. According to the Department of Energy, vampire appliances and electronics account for 10% of every months energy bill. This can amount to close to $250 a year in most apartments. Buying a smart power strip may drastically reduce this cost. Another simple option would be to unplug appliances when they are not in use.
- Programmable thermostat. Having the ability to turn off the AC or heat when you are not home, will go a long way in cutting down on electricity cost. In smaller one and two bedroom apartments, it should only take 10-15 min to cool or heat the entire apartment. Having a setting that turns on and off based on your schedule everyday can make life more simple, while putting more money back in the wallet.
- Utilizing appliance options. Wash your laundry with cold water whenever possible. Let clothes air dry when you are not in a hurry. Avoid over drying your clothes. Washing full loads of lady can save up to 3,400 gallons of water each year. Save water by hand washing dishes. When using dishwasher, make sure it is full and utilize the air-dry option when available.
- Air Circulation. Ensure that all registers are clear of objects. Clean and replace air filters monthly.
Simply taking the time to do the small things right will make a world of difference. Following these tips along with others, will do wonders to your monthly budget. ENJOY THE SAVINGS!